Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Excerpt from a letter to Anne Koch Voigt from Air Cavalry Sergeant Robert McCance

Anne Koch, 1969, in front of the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.
All memorials to South Vietnamese soldiers were destroyed after the north defeated the south. 
Courtesy of Anne Koch Voigt.


"I never forgot the care you gave me those many years ago. I never forgot your name I guess cause you were so kind to me at a time when I really needed the touch of a mother's hand. I really never gave your plight, that of a nurse in a combat zone, much thought until I watched a TV documentary several years ago concerning combat nurses and the emotional trauma you people were experiencing every day. I never realized the scars we left not on you but in you."

From "Anne Koch: 'I Knew in My Heart That I Had To Go'" from Courageous Women of the Vietnam War. 

No comments:

Post a Comment